November 2, 2023
Hard Water Symptoms: Do You Need A Water Softener?
The frustrating and costly symptoms of hard water can be seen throughout your home. Hard water contains high levels of dissolved minerals, such as calcium and magnesium. These minerals can cause a variety of problems in your home, including limescale buildup, dry skin and hair, and reduced appliance efficiency.
What is Hard Water?
Hard water is water with a high concentration of minerals, primarily calcium and magnesium. Hard water naturally occurs across large parts of the UK due to the composition of the soil but these dissolved minerals can lead to a number of issues in your home.
Symptoms of Hard Water Damage
Limescale Buildup in Kitchen Appliances
Mineral deposits from hard water can accumulate inside kitchen appliances, such as kettles and washing machines. Over time, this scale buildup can decrease appliance efficiency, lead to costly repairs and reduce the lifespan of the appliance.
High Energy Bills
Limescale buildup in your central heating system can reduce its efficiency and increase your energy costs. The heating element has to work harder when covered in limescale, meaning you have to heat your home for longer to achieve the same results.
Water Marks on Bathroom Taps, Tiles & Shower Screens
Hard water leaves milky white water deposits across bathroom fixtures, requiring harsh chemicals or lots of elbow grease to remove. This can make keeping your bathroom looking like new a real chore.
Limescale deposits can build up on your shower head affecting water flow, making your shower feel less powerful.
Your Household Products Having to Work Harder
Hard water inhibits the ability for soap, shampoo, and laundry detergents to lather properly as designed. As a result, you need to use more products to achieve the same level of cleanliness or specialist detergents such as Calgon designed for hard water, costing you more in the long run.
Streaks on Glassware and Dishes
Hard water can leave a soapy residue on glassware, dishes, and cutlery. These unsightly white spots can be challenging to remove.
Dry, Itchy Skin
Hard water has a drying effect on the skin as it can strip away your skin’s natural oils. For those with sensitive skin or skin conditions, such as eczema or psoriasis, they may find that their symptoms are worse when washing with hard water.
Dull, Lifeless Hair
Hard water can make hair appear dull and difficult to manage. Mineral deposits build up in your hair, removing volume and shine. Hard water can also leave product residue in your hair, as it doesn’t wash out as easily. This can lead to frequent hair washing, which can further dry and damage your hair.
If you are experiencing these hard water issues, then a water softener is the perfect solution.
Solutions To Combat Hard Water Damage
There are a number of options available to help combat hard water damage, but the most effective solution is installing a water softener.
The installation of a water softener turns hard water into softened water through the process of ion exchange. During ion exchange, the calcium and magnesium minerals in the water are replaced by sodium ions. To recharge a water softener, you will need to add water softener salt. The salt is not added to your water but contains the sodium needed for the ion exchange process to work inside the water softener.
At KindWater we supply a range of water softeners to ensure the perfect match for your household requirements.
Benefits of installing a water softener
- Enhance Appliance Lifespan: Increase the longevity of your appliances and reduce costs associated with repairs, replacements, and regular maintenance by eliminating harmful minerals.
- Optimise Central Heating Efficiency: Prevent limescale accumulation in your central heating system to ensure it operates efficiently and reduces energy expenses.
- Save on Shampoo and Detergent: Make detergents and hair products more effective and last longer with a water softener.
- Minimise the Use of Harsh Chemicals: The only way to get through stubborn limescale is with the use of strong cleaning chemicals. Installing a water softener will remove limescale from your home and stop future build up.
- Eliminate Specialised Products: Eliminate the necessity for specialised hard water products by removing the minerals responsible for water hardness.
- Simplify Cleaning Tasks: Prevent the formation of watermarks on surfaces such as taps, showerheads, and dishes, saving you valuable time and effort when cleaning.
- Enhance Hair and Skin Condition: Enjoy softer, shinier hair and smoother skin as a water softener alleviates the drying effects of hard water.
- Alleviate Eczema Symptoms: Water softeners help reduce skin irritation and discomfort for individuals with eczema-prone skin.
Overall, a water softener offers a number of benefits for both your home and your health. If you have hard water, contact us today to discuss why a water softener is a worthwhile investment.